Canada Greener Homes Grant
Take Advantage of the Canada Greener Homes Grant With New Windows and Doors
Your new window and door installation may qualify for the Canada Greener Homes Grant. It’s a significant cash rebate opportunity for replacing your home’s windows and doors – up to $5,000 – sponsored by the Federal Government. It’s a great way to save on multiple levels – you are cutting your energy bills with your new window and door installation, and the government rewards your efforts with dollars back in your wallet for making the upgrades.
How the Canada Greener Homes Grant Works
The Canadian government wants to encourage homeowners to lessen their carbon footprint by lowering energy use around the home. They have approved several retrofits, including window and door replacements, through the Canada Greener Homes Grant.
There are several steps to become eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant:
- Learn about the initiative, and make sure your home is eligible
- Register with the Program, and book the pre-retrofit evaluation
- Decide on the retrofit you want to do – new windows and doors are eligible if approved during the evaluation
- Complete your new window and door installation, and apply for reimbursement
- Get confirmation of your grant total – the reimbursement cheque will be mailed – up to $5000 for the retrofit and up to $600 for the required evaluations
Windows & Doors and the Canada Greener Homes Grant
Window and Door replacements are eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant Program. But they do have to meet specific criteria and, as mentioned, must be approved during the pre-retrofit evaluation. Some of these include:
- They must be new, high-performance ENERGY STAR-certified windows or inserts
- Windows and Doors must be purchased in Canada
- Makes and models must be on the approved list
- ENERGY STAR labels must be visible until the post-retrofit evaluation
The grant amounts vary with the type of approved units you install:
- Doors – up to $175 per door, if they meet the criteria and an energy rating of 34 or greater
- Windows – up to $175 per window, if they meet the requirements and an energy rating of 34 or greater
- Windows – up to $375 per window, if they meet the requirements and an energy rating of 40 or greater
Windows & Doors are a Great Choice for the Canada Greener Homes Grant
When you’re doing your research to identify a grant for an energy-efficient home, replacement windows and doors are an excellent idea. The government recognizes it also; that’s why new window and door installations qualify.In addition to the rebate money, however, you also get the benefit of:
- Greater energy efficiency in your home = lower energy bills
- A more attractive exterior and interior – both for your family and guests, and down the road should you choose to sell
- Enhanced interior comfort – eliminate drafts, hot spots, cold spots – energy-efficient windows address all these common home comfort issues
All of the above add up to the fact that it’s a good idea to replace old, leaky, drafty windows. The better the replacement window and door assembly, the better the performance. You could consider the ENERGY STAR Canada Greener Homes grant to be just icing on the cake.
A Word About the Pre and Post EnerGuide Evaluation Required by the Canada Greener Homes Grant Program
EnerGuide evaluations completed before April 1, 2020 do NOT qualify. If you have one from before that date, you will have to do a new one. If you have an evaluation completed on or after December 1, 2020, you may qualify for a rebate on the evaluation itself, up to $600.
Another couple of points for your reference, regarding Energuide evaluations:
- If your evaluation was completed between December 1, 2020 and June 30, 2020, you may be reimbursed for both the retrofit and the evaluation – the retrofit does NOT have to be included in the evaluation.
- If your evaluation was completed on or after July 1, 2020, you may be reimbursed for both the retrofit and the evaluation – the retrofit must be included in the evaluation in order to qualify for the rebate.
Other Considerations Regarding Home Retrofits and the Canada Greener Homes Program
Any type of Canadian home improvement grant should be researched and taken seriously by you as the homeowner. Let’s face it – free money from the government doesn’t come along all that often. While some of the pre-qualification, and the application process, may seem arduous, the government is doing its best to make the program fair and equitable.
Over and above the monetary considerations of the Canada Greener Homes Grant, upgrading your home with high-efficiency windows and doors is a good idea in other ways; we mentioned some of the immediate benefits earlier, in terms of home comfort, aesthetics and resale home value. There is also the fact that, in making an upgrade to your home, in the form of window and door replacement, you are doing something good for the environment. If everyone takes steps to reduce their carbon footprint, it’s a win for all.
One final good thing – your window and door replacement, with new materials, assemblies, and parts, shipped and installed in Canada, by Canadians, is good for the economy, and it’s good for the country.
If you would like to learn more about the Canada Greener Homes Program, or about new windows and doors, contact Comfort Windows and Doors Inc. We would be more than happy to help.